Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
EvoAnubis
Council Member/Admin
EvoAnubis

Male Number of posts : 780
PSN ID: : EvoAnubis
Registration date : 2007-08-25

Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Empty
PostSubject: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2008, 04:00

"Hi again everyone. Here’s a quick preview of the next PLAYSTATION 3 system software update coming up in the next few days. Firmware v2.20, introduces a number of features to further enhance your PLAYSTATION 3 as the hub of your entertainment center.

Most notably, the update enables the PS3 to support Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0, also known as BD-Live. You can connect now to the Internet while playing discs that support BD-Live to obtain additional content and special features. These features vary from disc to disc, and will keep your BD discs fresh with new content and in some cases exclusive content only accessible to owners of BD-Live enabled discs. On April 8th Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release The 6th Day and Walk Hard on Blu-ray; these titles will be among the first to take advantage of BD-Live. With this update, the PLAYSTATION 3 becomes the first Blu-ray player on the market with BD-Live functionality.

Here are some of the other new features/enhancements that will be included in Firmware v2.20:

The ability to copy PS3 Music and Photo playlists to a PSP system. We introduced the ability to create Music and Photo playlists on the PS3 in firmware update v2.0. Now you can easily export your playlists to your PSP.

You can now play DivX and WMV format files that are over 2 GB.

Resume Play - begin playing a DVD or BD disc from the point where you previously stopped it, even if you eject the disc and insert a different movie or game.

Use your PSP as a remote control to play back your music files on your PS3 without turning on your TV.

The Internet browser now displays some web pages faster. In addition [Save Target] has been added as an option under file. This option lets you save a file that is linked to a web page to your PS3 hard drive or storage media.

There are a few other tweaks and upgrades included in v2.20 - we’ll provide more specifics as the update is about to go live."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/20/firmware-v220-bringing-bd-live-to-ps3/
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/deanoevolved
Trieloth
Council Member
Trieloth

Male Number of posts : 673
PSN ID: : Trieloth
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2008, 09:25

here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqpkmNij8io&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Striker
Shitty Clan Leader
Striker

Male Number of posts : 996
PSN ID: : Striker725
Registration date : 2007-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2008, 16:15

Thats all fine and good but....

...where's my in-game XMB Sony? This stuff is cool but, give us the cool stuff we have been waiting for first.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2008, 17:42

Its been said that in game XMB will be dropping this summer, but you can never really trust anything Sony says. Sorry, but its true.
Back to top Go down
yodadamanadamwan
Clan Member
yodadamanadamwan

Male Number of posts : 259
PSN ID: : yodadamanadamwan
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2008, 11:40

Striker wrote:
Thats all fine and good but....

...where's my in-game XMB Sony? This stuff is cool but, give us the cool stuff we have been waiting for first.

I agree, why would I want to or need to resume a movie at the same spot blah blah blah they just keep adding useless crap, what do they think scene selection is for? Ooooooooooo save me 10 seconds...
Back to top Go down
EvoAnubis
Council Member/Admin
EvoAnubis

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2008, 12:47

Useless crap? These are features that I really wanted. In game XMB is coming this summer; Sony said that in January sometime. Given that I knew that fact, I really wasn't shocked to not see it in this update.
Back to top Go down
Trieloth
Council Member
Trieloth

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2008, 13:31

Romer wrote:
Its been said that in game XMB will be dropping this summer, but you can never really trust anything Sony says. Sorry, but its true.
I don think its souly Sonys fault...I blame the internet maggots highlighting every possible thing.

That last update with all the little goodies was needed. Resume play was something my crapbox did for a long time, and something I really wanted for my Sony.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2008, 14:29

Don't get me wrong, I knew that we wouldn't be getting and in game XMB in this update, but I'm tired of updating my PS3 and getting things that I really could careless about. I don't watch DVDs on my PS3 anyway, thats what a DVD player is for. They need to stop making this into a Blue Ray player, and start making it into a kick ass video game system. Because right now, Xbox Live makes the Playstation Network look like a foolish little boy. It just makes me mad.
Back to top Go down
EvoAnubis
Council Member/Admin
EvoAnubis

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2008, 14:37

Romer wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I knew that we wouldn't be getting and in game XMB in this update, but I'm tired of updating my PS3 and getting things that I really could careless about. I don't watch DVDs on my PS3 anyway, thats what a DVD player is for. They need to stop making this into a Blue Ray player, and start making it into a kick ass video game system. Because right now, Xbox Live makes the Playstation Network look like a foolish little boy. It just makes me mad.

I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, Sony's doing exactly what they said they'd do; turn the PS3 into a multimedia powerhouse. That includes doing updates to its Blu-Ray capabilities, and everyone I know IRL who has one uses it for that purpose as well as for gaming.

And yeah, right now XBL is better. Given that's its been out for 5+ years now and PSN hasn't even hit 1.5 years yet, it had damn well better be better than PSN. The thing MS needs to be scared of right now is how fast PSN is catching up, particularly after they add the in-game XMB and Home. And unlike the other guys, we have actual servers for our games, and we don't pay a dime.
Back to top Go down
yodadamanadamwan
Clan Member
yodadamanadamwan

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2008, 10:05

AgentSmith wrote:
Resume play was something my crapbox did for a long time, and something I really wanted for my Sony.

Quote :
Useless crap? These are features that I really wanted. In game XMB is coming this summer; Sony said that in January sometime. Given that I knew that fact, I really wasn't shocked to not see it in this update.

Why is resume play so important to you guys? Really only reason I said it was useless crap is because they're wasting time developing something that's just basically a shortcut for things that are already available on DVDs. I'd rather have them developing some stuff that I would REALLY REALLY like to see (stay online while playing DVDs or PS2 games anyone?).
Back to top Go down
EvoAnubis
Council Member/Admin
EvoAnubis

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2008, 11:10

it's important to me because it IS my DVD player. Why would I have another one? This one upscales on my TV, plays Blu-Rays, and also plays movies of of the external HDD I have plugged in. The only other DVD player is in the bedroom.

My brother is the same way. As is my cousin. Hell, my Mom's primary DVD player to this day is a PS2 that I gave her 4 years ago. Even she is waiting on the price to drop for the new model, which she obviously saw the benefits from here at my house, so she can pick that up.

Trust me; adding to the functionality of the DVD playback is a far bigger deal than you think.
Back to top Go down
yodadamanadamwan
Clan Member
yodadamanadamwan

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2008, 11:32

I suppose... I just don't see the point when you can just go to scene selection...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2008, 12:09

if you didn't take the movie out of the system it already would go back to the same spot when you clicked on the movie icon so this wasn't that big for me even though i watch alot of bd movies, the live connection will be nice but right now nothing worth having is out for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2008, 13:14

I guess this is a good update if you MUST see Blue-Ray Movies; I don't really care about seeing movies in great picture. Games Yes. Movies No. But that’s just me, as I said, if I want to watch a DVD I most of the time play it on my DVD player rather then my PS3. But one thing that we are all forgetting about here, I would guess that all of this stuff would work in the Home TV. Meaning you can watch a Blue-Ray with friends, and stuff like that. I don't know, I think I'm just trying to justify the 15 minute update that I had to sit through...
Back to top Go down
Trieloth
Council Member
Trieloth

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeMarch 27th 2008, 15:37

Get off of the DVD trash and move on to BR. I will NEVER perchase a DVD again unless its a anime (of course). My PS3 gets used for every freaking thing. And because I use it for EVERYTHING my 360 never gets turned on. As a matter of fact I powered it up yesterday to see if it still works and to see this magical Live service and I looked at what they have. Well the Demos where zip, noda, na-ting for the last three or four weeks ( since the last time I used it ) . Granted the have more videos but if I have to pay so there better be something. A bunch of Fable2 video crap and a Gears of War tech demo (Meh). It looks like Alone in the Dark is a 360 exclusive, cuz the release date for the PS3 version vanished.. for now. Ahhh Iam getting worked up i better stop, @#$^ing M$ always gets me worked up. No

ALL THAT LITTLE SHIT IS NEEDED AND SHOULDNT BE IGNORED OR DISMISSED!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2008, 12:37

It’s not needed, if they didn't have this update, would the system shut down and never work again? No. Would it sway the Console Wars? Not really. This is just a thing of want rather then need. YOU like to watch Blue-Ray movies, there for YOU WANT this update, and think that you need it. I on the other hand, could give two shits about Blue-Ray movies, and think that this update is a waste. I wish they would start making updates that went more towards the games, rather then Music and DVD's. It’s getting old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3   Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3
Page 1 of 1